Traffic Law Enforcement
The Orangeburg Department of Public Safety Traffic Enforcement Unit will serve as the primary unit responsible for the planning, analysis and coordination of the department’s police traffic services. The Unit will strive to reduce the number and severity of motor vehicle crashes in the City of Orangeburg. The Unit will be involved in all major crash investigations in the City of Orangeburg, be on standby for assistance with the South Carolina Department of Public Safety Major Accident and Investigation Team (M.A.I.T) and Partner with Orangeburg County Safe Kids Collation.
Goals and Objectives
- Promote traffic safety through education, enforcement and engineering means.
- Identify high accident areas, analyze data and apply problem solving techniques in the resolution of traffic problems.
- Enhance traffic safety in the City of Orangeburg by reducing both the frequency and severity of traffic crashes.
- Aggressively investigate citizen complaints and enforce all applicable traffic laws and regulations.
- Vigorously pursue the investigation of any and all illegal activities detected as a result of traffic stops.
- Act as representatives of the department through public appearances at special functions.
- Represent the department as public speakers and instructors, when requested.
- Investigate, clear, and charge, when possible, all hit and run accidents.
- Increase our contribution to DUI efforts via the night shift traffic officer.
The Department’s Traffic Safety Goals and Objectives will be addressed through traditional traffic safety events including, but not limited to:
- Law Enforcement Network (L.E.N.)
- Bike rodeos
- S.T.E.P. (Selective Traffic Enforcement Program)
- Hot Spot/Traffic Concern program
- Traffic safety proclamations
- Seat belt safety programs
- Participation in national traffic safety programs
- Child safety seat inspections
- Selective School Zone Speeding Enforcement
- Presentations related to Traffic Safety upon request (call 803-533-5906 for scheduling)
Additionally, the Traffic Unit will analyze traffic crash data to identify problem areas and solutions by working closely with The Department of Motor Vehicle Traffic Engineers. The Unit will answer and respond to citizen complaints related to traffic. To accomplish these objectives, members of the Traffic Unit will utilize the K-9 units, Sport Utility Vehicle, Squad Cars, S.M.A.R.T. (speed monitoring awareness) trailer, radar and lidar equipment.