To Become Employed as a Certified Law Enforcement Officer in South Carolina, Individuals Must:
• Be at least 21 years of age to become an officer, or 18 to become a fire engineer.
• Be a citizen of the United States.
• Have earned a high school diploma or equivalent (GED).
• Not have been convicted of any felony or a misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement.
• Never have received a dishonorable discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United States.
• Have good moral character.
• Successfully passed a background investigation, to include drug testing and financial history.
• Have passed a physical examination by a licensed physician.
• (If already a certified officer) Complied with mandatory training or educational requirements.
• Have passed a physical performance test administered by the Department.