Mayor Butler along with the City Council are aware of the many concerns that have been expressed by constituents and organizations and are feverishly working on sending a resolution to the SC General Assembly to allow local governments to work with their citizens to remove monuments and other symbols of racism that may be within the City of Orangeburg. As the Mayor of Orangeburg, I support the Black Lives Matter movement, and all voices to help us start this conversation.
The mayor serves as the presiding officer of the City Council, votes on all matters, and appoints individuals to citizen boards, committees and commissions.
Mayor Michael C. Butler
PO Drawer 387, Orangeburg,South Carolina, 29116
Telephone: (803) 533-6000
Fax: (803) 533-6007
- District School to work Facilitator for Orangeburg Consolidated School District 5
- Pastor and Founder of Victory Tabernacle Deliverance Temple of the Apostolic Faith, Incorporated, P.A.W. (Present)
- Transportation Supervisor and School Administrator for Orangeburg School Districts 2 and 5
- Case Manager with the Department of Disabilities and Special Needs in Bamberg County
- Social Services Specialist IV for Barnwell and Orangeburg County Department of Social Services
Education and Certifications:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Education from Claflin University (1983)
- Completed graduate study courses at South Carolina State University and the University of South Carolina
- Master of Education Degree in Curriculum Instruction and Assessment from Walden University (2006)
- Certified Global Career Development Facilitator
- Certified Children Service Case Worker
- 15-year partnership with the University of South Carolina Colleges of Nursing and Public Health
- 10-year partnership with the Minority AIDS Council
- 8-year partnership with the Institute for Partnership to Eliminate Health Disparities with the University of South Carolina and Claflin University that has generated $14.5 million in grant funding to support Cancer and HIV/AIDS research, education, and community engagement in Orangeburg.
Affiliations and Honors:
- Member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated
- Who's Who in Executives and Professionals
- Orangeburg Branch NAACP