Juvenile / Victim Services
Juvenile Services Unit
Our dedicated Juvenile Services Unit is responsible for investigating crimes committed by individuals under the age of 17, in addition to suspected cases of child abuse. Our investigators maintain close collaboration with the South Carolina Department of Social Services (DSS) and the Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) to enhance and enrich the quality of life for the youth of the City of Orangeburg. This unit plays a vital role in regional anti-gang initiatives and juvenile diversion programs, focusing on early identification of at-risk youth and providing timely intervention.
School Resource Officer
Our School Resource Officer is committed to creating a nurturing and secure environment for students, administrators, faculty, service workers, and other school community members. By fostering positive relationships, the School Resource Officer is better equipped to solve criminal cases, prevent crimes, intervene effectively in drug-related issues, and address non-criminal student needs. The School Resource Officer serves as a liaison between our department and the school, acting as a mentor, a positive role model, and a supportive friend to all students.
At the Orangeburg Department of Public Safety, we are dedicated to providing compassionate and practical assistance to victims of crime or tragedy. Our Victim Services program offers a range of support, including immediate crisis intervention, assistance with victim impact statements, applications for financial benefits, and restitution claims. We ensure that victims are well-informed about the progress of their cases within the criminal justice system and maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
Our services include:
- Offering formalized court preparation sessions and accompaniment to court as needed.
- Providing information and referrals to other community agencies serving as additional resources for victims.
- Accurate completion of necessary written reports and records, including updates to investigating officers with any additional information obtained during interactions with victims.
- Furnishing victims with relevant educational and preventive information.
- Offering emergency transportation for victims when required.
We are committed to supporting victims throughout their journey to recovery and justice.