- Crime/Fire Prevention
- Criminal Investigations Division »
- Patrol Division »
- Special Operations Division »
- Online Services
Traffic Law Enforcement
Goals and Objectives
- Promote traffic safety through education, enforcement and engineering means.
- Identify high accident areas, analyze data and apply problem solving techniques in the resolution of traffic problems.
- Enhance traffic safety in the City of
- Aggressively investigate citizen complaints and enforce all applicable traffic laws and regulations.
- Vigorously pursue the investigation of any and all illegal activities detected as a result of traffic stops.
- Act as representatives of the department through public appearances at special functions.
- Represent the department as public speakers and instructors, when requested.
- Investigate, clear, and charge, when possible, all hit and run accidents.
- Increase our contribution to DUI efforts via the night shift traffic officer.
- Law Enforcement Network (L.E.N.)
- Bike rodeos
- S.T.E.P. (Selective Traffic Enforcement Program)
- Hot Spot/Traffic Concern program
- Traffic safety proclamations
- Seat belt safety programs
- Participation in national traffic safety programs
- Child safety seat inspections
- Selective School Zone Speeding Enforcement
- Presentations related to Traffic Safety upon request (call 803.533.5906 for scheduling)
Additionally, the Traffic Unit will analyze traffic crash data to identify problem areas and solutions by working closely with The Department of Motor Vehicle Traffic Engineers. The Unit will answer and respond to citizen complaints related to traffic. To accomplish these objectives, members of the Traffic Unit will utilize the K-9 units, Sport Utility Vehicle, Squad Cars, S.M.A.R.T. (speed monitoring awareness) trailer, radar and lidar equipment.
For any traffic related questions contact: Sergeant Jeff Mitchum.