The Sanitation Division, collects and disposes of solid waste within the City Limits. This is accomplished by a Solid Waste Collection Team going into a neighborhood on the assigned day each week for the collection of household garbage, recyclable materials and yard trash.
Instructions And Guidelines For Curbside Solid Waste Collection
A Solid Waste Collection Team will come into your neighborhood on the assigned day each week for the collection of all residential solid waste. The Solid Waste Team is composed of a supervisor, garbage collection crews, a recycling crew and trash collection crews. Each of these crews collect a different solid waste and there are specific guidelines for each type that must be followed. Should you experience problems with this program or have any questions, please call the Public Works Department at 533-6010.
Residential Garbage Collection:
- All residential garbage shall be placed in the roll cart(s) (residential garbage receptacle) provided by the City of Orangeburg. Residential customers shall have sufficient roll carts to store their household garbage for weekly collection. The fees charged for garbage collection is per roll cart as set by City Council. Please call Public Works at 533-6010 for additional roll carts.
- All roll cart(s) shall be placed at curbside by 7:00 AM on your day of collection and removed by 8:00 AM on the day following collection. Your roll cart(s) shall not be rolled to curbside any earlier than 4:00 PM on the day preceding collection.
- If you believe that there is no one in your household that is physically able to roll the cart to the curb on collection day, please request and complete an application for back yard collection service.
- The lid on your cart must be kept closed at all times to keep out water and animals.
- The cart should not be used for any purpose other than the storage and collection of garbage.
- Do not mark, write, paint, cut or damage the cart in any way. You are encouraged to wash out the cart with a garden hose as needed.
- Do not place yard trash, dangerous materials, liquids or construction material in the cart. Hot embers should be cooled before placing in the cart. (Please see yard trash listed later.)
- All roll carts and recycling bins are assigned by address and remain the property of the City, therefore if you move, all roll carts and recycling bins shall be left at your old address. It CANNOT be taken with you when you move.
- If your cart is stolen or damaged, please call the Public Works Department at 533-6010. Collection of garbage will be suspended if cart is missing or severely damaged.
- The cart will remain the property of the City for the use of the person or persons to whom they are issued. Person (s) who damage the cart issued to them through neglect or intentional misuse or abuse will be required to pay for the repair or replacement of the cart at the discretion of the Public Works Department.
Residential Yard Trash and Yard Rubbish Collection:
- Curbside Trash Collection is available to all city residents on the collection day for their neighborhood. Materials to be collected must be placed at the street curb by 7:00 AM on collection day.
- Normal residential trash, such as tree trimmings, grass clippings, hedge clippings, leaves, appliances, and furniture shall be collected at the same location as that designated for garbage collection. Vegetation such as leaves, pine needles, and grass clippings shall be separated from other residential trash or rubbish placed at the curb for collection by City personnel. In no event shall trash be placed in the storm drainage system or near the system in a manner that it could reasonably be expected to enter the system.
- Individual trash or rubbish items shall not exceed four (4) feet in diameter, ten (10) feet in length, or two hundred (200) pounds in weight. The quantity to be picked up may be limited at the discretion of the Public Works Director.
Residential Garbage and Trash Not Collected:
- Trash generated by contractors for new construction or remodeling, new or replacement landscaping, and tree trimming or removal shall be removed by the companies and shall not be the responsibility of the City.