twitter_box  twitter_box  facebook-box_24  

Business Licenses

General Information on City of Orangeburg Business Licenses

Updated: 3/2/15

A valid business location is required for all new businesses located in the City Limits of Orangeburg. You must be pre-approved by zoning before you can be approved for your business license. Every person engaged or intending to engage in any calling, business, occupation or profession or maintaining an office(s) in the City Limits is required to pay a fee and obtain a business license. A separate license is required for each kind of business and for separate locations. All new business license applicants are required to show proof of identification.

You must display your business license in a visible place so that citizens can see your license. If you are a contractor and have a mobile business, you must have a copy of your license with you while working in your vehicle and also be permitted by DPU if gas, mechanical, or an electrical contractor.

If you move your business to a different location or change your business name or address, you must come to City Hall and make all changes prior to changing locations, names, or addresses. You must be pre-approved by Zoning before you move also. We will need to change the information pertaining to your business (the cost is $1.00). If you fail to do so within ten days before and we have to contact you, there is a $10.00 collector's fee. You must also notify the SC Department of Revenue and obtain a new State Retail Tax License. You can notify them at or call them at the number below.

If you close your business, your City of Orangeburg Business License must be closed out within thirty (30) days. We will need your gross receipts for that year through your last day of business in order to close out your license. If you sell your business, the same applies, you will need to close out your City of Orangeburg Business License before the new owner opens his business. Remember if you are planning on even relocating out of the City limits, this also means that you will need to close out your City of Orangeburg Business License. You also need to close your State Retail Tax License or or call them at the number below.

All licenses expire each March 31 and are up for renewal. You must renew your license by May 5th to avoid penalty of 10% per month plus a collector's fee. You can be fined starting at $1065.00 if you do not have the appropriate and valid license(s). If you have been open for over ten days without a valid license, penalties can and will be charged. All taxes or other fees due to the City at the time of renewal must be paid prior to renewing your City of Orangeburg Business License.

You will be subject to income verification on your renewal. We have the authority to request a copy of your federal income tax return at any time to verity your gross receipts. Please make sure that you report your gross accurately. If an audit is performed, this may cause a delay in processing.

If you sell food that is not pre-packaged and ready for immediate consumption you will need to submit monthly to the City of Orangeburg your hospitality tax that you would collect from your customers (2% extra tax added to their bills) If you have a hotel, motel, campground, or boarding home that houses transients less than 90 days at a time, you must also submit monthly your accommodations tax to us. You would collect this extra 2% tax on their bill and remit to the City by the 20th of the following month. Penalties apply for late payments.

If you are in retail sales, you may need a South Carolina Retail Tax License; you can obtain one from the County Administration Building every Wednesday Morning or you can get information online at

If you are a contractor, all subcontractors you or someone else hires must be licensed with the City of Orangeburg as well. This means anyone you give a 1099 to must be licensed with the City. You are responsible for notifying your subs on their responsibilities or notifying the City Revenue Collector of who the subs are so that they can be properly licensed to do business in the City of Orangeburg. Contractors can look up sub-contractors on the Internet to see if they are licensed with the State at 803-896-4701

If you have coin-operated machines in your business and you collect the money, you must have a license for these machines. You will be given a sticker to attach to your machine(s) for licensing purposes. If you do not collect the money, please contact our office with the company name so that they can be properly licensed. All unlicensed coin operated machines are subject to penalty as well.

If you are planning on opening a car lot of any sort, you must also bring in your dealer's license before a City of Orangeburg license is issued.

If you are a barber or cosmetologist, you must bring in your State license from LLR before a City of Orangeburg license is issued.

If your business is located in a residential district or possibly otherwise commercial, you may need to be approved by Zoning and meet other requirements BEFORE you open your business, 533-6010. You will also need to meet building and fire code compliances as well. Inspections may be made by the Fire Department to ensure safety regulations. You may call the Fire Inspector at 533-6046.

If you hire anyone to do work in your business (remodeling, security, painting, lawn maintenance, plumbing, electrical, etc); they must have a City of Orangeburg Business License as you do. You may call us to check the status of a license if you plan on hiring someone for a job at 539-3750.

A restaurant, grocery store, or business that handles food is required to obtain approval from the Health Department, 533-9060.

The ABC licensing department is located at 301 Gervais Street in Columbia, 734-0470. You will need to obtain a permit from them if you are planning to serve alcoholic beverages according to State law.

If you have any questions regarding City of Orangeburg Business Licenses, please call the Finance Department at 539-3750.

Signs are not permitted in the public right of way including utility poles. Any signs in the right of way will be removed. If you have any questions, please call Zoning at 533-6010.

Important Numbers Phone Fax
State Retail Tax License (803) 896-4300  
Alcohol Tax (803) 898-5743 or (803) 734-0470  
Sales and Use Tax (803) 898-5788  
Withholding Tax and Information (803) 896-4300  
Personal Property Tax (803) 898-5476  
City of Orangeburg Business License (803) 533-6000 (803) 533-6007
Department of Health and Environmental Control (803) 533-9060  
South Carolina Contractor’s Board (803) 896-4501 (803) 896-6038
City of Orangeburg Zoning (803) 533-6010 (803) 533-6007
Department of Natural Resources (803) 734-3022  
Secretary of State (corporations, trademarks) (803) 734-2158  
Workman’s Compensation (803) 737-5700  
SC Dept of Social Services (daycare lic) (803) 737-5740  
SC Employment Security Commission (803) 737-2400  
DHEC (803) 737-2070

Labor, Licensing and Regulation Internet Address: